What to sow and grow in April in most areas of North Canterbury
The Canterbury region is rather large, with quite a few different climate zones scattered about – even the microclimate in your own garden can make a difference, so be sure to use the following as an ideas list only, and check seed packets or seedling labels for more information specific to your exact growing conditions.
- root crops such as beetroot, carrots, radish, salsify, swedes, parsnips, and turnips.
- onion family like shallots, leeks, onion,
- leafy greens including amaranth, collards, endive, kale, lettuce, silverbeet, and spinach
- cabbage family including cabbage, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, cauliflower and kohlrabi
- podding plants such as broad beans and peas
- flowers including calendula, Iceland poppy, viola, cornflower and sweet peas
- herbs like chives, chervil, coriander, dill, Florence Fennel, oregano and parsley